Monday, November 11, 2019

Review: 16th Seduction

16th Seduction 16th Seduction by James Patterson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

It's been awhile since I read one of these books. I needed a quick read to catch up on my reading challenge for the year and in that respect this one did not disappoint!

Lindsay and estranged husband Joe are enjoying a dinner date when the nearby Sci-Tron building explodes. Among the first law enforcement personnel on the scene, Lindsay is shocked when one of the bystanders confesses to the crime. But, of course, the open and shut case ends up being anything but when it comes time for the trial. At the same time this is going on, Lindsay's best friend, Chief Medical Examiner, Claire realizes what appears to be a couple of heart attack victims actually appear to be murder victims. Though unrelated, as the trial drags on, the body count continues to pile up, putting the WMC into overdrive to solve the two cases - and save Lindsay's job in the process.

I enjoyed revisiting old friends. As I said, it has been awhile so I did forget a few details from the last couple of books, so I was glad for the recaps along the way. Because the case should have been open and shut, however, the story focused more on the ladies individually vs their working together as a whole for most of the book. I was surprised, however, when Lindsay missed a clue that she would ultimately end up landing on to blow one of the cases open. The plot line of how the "heart attack" victims were being murdered was interesting as there was really no rhyme or reason to how they were chosen and because the reader knows fairly early on who the murderer is and how he is getting away with it. Coincidental or intentional, being a long-time Washington resident, I loved that one of the victims was identified as having been from Spokane and her last name was one of Spokane's major streets.

I didn't pick this up for literary greatness so I wasn't expecting any. It was a great way to escape from day-to-day life for a few hours, however, and get one book closer to finishing my 2019 challenge!

View all my reviews

No comments: