Thursday, June 26, 2008

Are they still running today?

I have really bad luck with stop lights. I swear they see me coming and turn red on purpose. This amazed James. We could leave the same place at the same time and he would get to our destination at least 5 minutes before me every time. Being that I spend so much longer in the car than is really necessary, I have a lot of time to think. Sometimes I just let my mind wander, which is not always a good thing!

I have my radio set to a station that plays music from the 60's and 70's. I like the music and I like the fact that they actually play music in the morning instead of just chattering away. Monday, as I was driving to my appointment with the grief counselor, Steve Miller's "Take the Money and Run" came on. This really is a catchy little tune. But it got me thinking. One of the lines is "and they're still running today." Are they? Are Billy Joe and Bobbie Sue still on the lam? I did some research and from what I can tell, the song came out in 1976, so they have been running for 32 years, if they are still running. Do they have any money left or did they spend it all? How much did they steal in the first place? My guess is that Billy Mack has long since retired. Does this unsolved case haunt him? If they made it to Mexico, that would be out of his jurisidication.

If James was in the car with me, we might have discussed this. These were the silly things we talked about to pass the time. We may have even created a scenario as to how they were caught or how they are living today. I would love to know his thoughts on it. And I would really love it if Steve Miller did a sequel song letting me know what happened. Because now that I have this in my head, it is really going to bug me. Maybe I will just write my own story as to how this all played out. Maybe one of these days, I will also figure out how to hit green lights instead of red ones. There are definitely better things I could be doing with my time than pondering hit songs of the '70s.

No comments: