Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Review: Double Fudge Brownie Murder

Double Fudge Brownie Murder Double Fudge Brownie Murder by Joanne Fluke
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

2.5 Stars As I hovered over checking this book out from the library, I asked myself "Am I going to regret this?" The last couple of books have been awful but I went ahead and did it. I don't know if it's because I read this one instead of listened to it, or if it was because I was on vacation when I read it or if it's actually just a better book but I found this one didn't totally suck.

It starts out with the Swensen sisters and Doc Knight whisking Delores off to Las Vegas so Doc and Delores can elope. This part of the book, for the most part, was rather enjoyable. A quarter of the book later, the clan is back in Lake Eden when Hannah finds yet another murder victim - this time it's the judge who is about to preside over her vehicular manslaughter trial, which makes Hannah look like a good prime suspect in lead detective/boyfriend Mike's eyes. And of course, Hannah manages to stay one step ahead of Mike and the rest of the police force to solve the murder.

So here's what went wrong: Hannah is awaiting trial, with a substitute judge who doesn't know her presiding, yet she is allowed to fly halfway across the country for her mother's surprise elopement? Um, okay. And while I mostly enjoyed this part of the book, Hannah's family conspiring to play matchmaker by having her college crush, Ross, appear as Doc's best man was pretty contrived. Especially when the scheme worked and they fell madly in love after about two minutes and Delores then regretted it thinking Hannah was moving too fast - and was going to hurt her steady dates, Mike and Norman, in the process. Maybe, just maybe, you should have stayed out of it then.

Back in Lake Eden, Hannah (who barely works at her bakery anymore) is irate when Mike suspects her of murdering the judge. Hannah, who was ALONE in the judge's antichamber when it happened having been summoned prior to the start of HER TRIAL can't understand why Mike might think she has motive?? Seriously, Hannah, you are smarter than that. I believe the point was to get Hannah to realize that Mike might not be husband material after all, but really, Hannah should have figured that one out long ago.

But the worst part was Hannah's 7 year old niece being a cell phone expert. I understand today's kids are growing up with phones and tablets, but most of them do not sound and act like they should be selling them.

So what went right: the wedding was sweet. Michelle is probably my favorite character in this series as she's the only one whose life seems to be realistic. Hannah actually did something more intimate with a man than just hugging him and her stale love life finally has a resolution. And reading this did feel like visiting old friends and did help pass the time spent traveling from Point A to Point B in horrendous traffic much faster.







View all my reviews

No comments: