Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Review: Swept Under the Rug

Swept Under the Rug Swept Under the Rug by Jennifer L. Hart
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The second book in the Laundry Hag series, I enjoyed this one but didn't love it like I did the first, which was a bit disappointing.

Having survived her ordeal with a corrupt cop in the first book, Maggie Phillips is still cleaning houses for the elite and is still working as a CI for the police department and an overzealous one at that as she wants to solve cases, not just provide helpful information in regards to them. Working at one client's she "discovers" a mysterious fax which the police dismiss until the wife of the recipient disappears and Maggie suddenly finds herself having to prove she wasn't behind it. And if that wasn't enough, her brother Marty has reappeared, this time with a pregnant girlfriend in tow, her best friend's marriage is over and her own marriage seems to be on the rocks as well - mostly due to Maggie's own paranoia.

This was a quick, entertaining read. It wasn't quite as humorous as the first one but the characters felt more real: Sylvia's reaction to her cheating husband and Neil's reaction to Maggie being targeted and framed being among the best. I can't really find anything I would say was a huge fault with it (other than it definitely could have used a second set of editing eyes); the bar was set pretty high for me with the first one and even knowing sophomore efforts rarely measure up, I think my expectations were just too high. That said, I am looking forward to seeing what scrapes Maggie gets into next!





View all my reviews

No comments: