Monday, March 21, 2011

Last Song

Part of why I decided to play along with the Facebook song challenge is because music was a big part of my and James' life.  He loved to sing-he lettered in choir in high school and had a great voice.  I love to sing as well.  I don't have a great voice.  I am tone deaf and have a flat voice.  But James loved me so he tolerated my occasional need to belt one out.  Charlie tolerates it as well.  Sammy usually sighs heavily and leaves the room.

When I was doing the song challenge, there were a lot of songs that reminded me of him-those I specifically chose and a few I didn't, like using "Kiss Me" for the song I want played at my wedding.  That was for the wedding I was supposed to have; not for the one I will still hopefully have some day.  And there were songs I chose that were just special to me-songs he was not a part of my life for, like my favorite song, the song from my childhood, and of course, my prom theme. 

There was one song I had a really hard time with, and that is the song I want played at my funeral.  I thought I wanted "The Dance" by Garth Brooks, but when I listened to it, I decided it didn't really fit after all.  And then I thought maybe "I Hope You Dance" by Lee Ann Womack.  I think I would like this played if I die young.  It will be my way of telling those I leave behind to choose to live life to the fullest because you don't get to know how long you get to have.  Apparently, I plan to boss people around even after I'm gone.  I actually Googled popular funeral songs for assistance, though I did ultimately come up with "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" on my own.  It got me thinking though.  What was the last song James heard?  What was on the radio as he was crossing the bridge unknowingly taking his last breath?  Just one more question I'll never know the answer to.  I hope it was one he loved.

No comments: