Sunday, March 20, 2011

Song Challenge

A little over a month ago, one of my sorority sisters and former roommate when we moved to Portland after graduation tagged me in a note on Facebook.  I normally don't read notes I've been tagged in-the truth is I'm not overly Facebook savvy.  But, I read this one.  It was a month long song challenge, in which we were to post the link to a YouTube video every day for 30 days with each day being a different theme.  I like challenges, so I decided to play along.  Here are my songs and the comments I made about them:

Day 1:  My favorite song:  "Glory of Love" by Peter Cetera.  I was going to marry Ralph Macchio when I grew up.  I guess he didn't get the memo.
Day 2: My least favorite song: "Don't Worry, Be Happy" by Bobby McFerrin.  I find this song so annoying I can't listen to more than about 5 seconds of it.
Day 3: A song that makes me happy:  "Chattahoochee" by Alan Jackson.  I cannot resist singing along to this one, which is really unfortunate for those who are in attendance on the rare occasions I feel brave enough to do karaoke.
Day 4:  A song that makes me sad:  "100 Years" by Five for Fighting.  It was a toss up between this and "What Might Have Been" by Little Texas.  Both make me sad, but this one makes me tear up every time I hear it.
Day 5:  A song that reminds me of someone:  "Life is a Highway" by Tom Cochrane.  For James-who loved life more than anyone I've ever known and who didn't get to experience it nearly long enough.
Day 6:  A song that reminds me of somewhere:  "Cheeseburger in Paradise" by Jimmy Buffet.  Why yes, I have had a cheeseburger in paradise.  It was at the Margaritaville in Ocho Rios, Jamaica, January 2007.
Day 7: A song that reminds me of a specific event:  "Forever Young" by Alphaville.  Because no music list is complete if it doesn't include the theme from your senior prom.
Day 8: A song you know all the words to:  "Bust a Move" by Young M.C.  "This here's a tale for all the fellows..."
Day 9:  A song I can dance to:  "Electric Slide" by Marcia Griffiths.  Thanks to the line dance class I took last summer, I can finally do the "Electric Slide," which always makes me think of my AGD sisters.  :)
Day 10: A song I can fall asleep to: "Only Time" by Enya.  This is a great background song for a lazy, rainy afternoon spent on the couch dozing off from reading a good book.  (I always fall asleep when I read).  (Side note:  This and "Life is a Highway" were the two songs played on James' memorial DVD).
Day 11:  A song by my favorite band:  "Rockstar" by Nickelback.  Who doesn't want to be a rock star?
Day 12: A song from a band I hate:  "Only Wanna Be with You" by Hootie and the Blowfish.  Hate is a strong word but I could never get into Hootie.  Interestingly, I love Darius Rucker's "History in the Making."
Day 13: A guilty pleasure:  "Oops...I did it again" by Britney Spears.  I might actually lose friends over this one.
 Day 14: A song no one would expect me to love:  "The Real Slim Shady" by Eminem.  Normally, I find him obnoxious, which I think most people would expect from me!

Day 15: A song that describes me:  "Maybe" by Sick Puppies.  I heard this song for the first time the day my friend posted the song challenge and could really relate to it.  Had I not chosen this one, I would have gone with "Ready to Love Again," by Lady Antebellum.
Day 16: A song I used to love but now I hate:  "Keep Your Hands to Yourself" by the Georgia Satellites.
Day 17: A song I hear often on the radio:  "Collide" by Howie Day.  I only listen to the radio in the car these days, but I use Rhapsody at work.  I hear this song all the time because I constantly feel the need to play it.
Day 18: A song I wish I heard more often on the radio:  "The Rose" by Bette Midler.  I always forget how much I absolutely love this song-until I listen to it.
Day 19: A song from my favorite album:  "Gotta Be Somebody" by Nickelback.  There is not a song on Nickelback's "Dark Horse" album I don't like.  Love this one! (And I can relate to it!)
Day 20: A song I listen to when I'm angry: "1-2-3-4 (Sumpin' New)" by Coolio.  I bust out the gangsta rap when I'm trying to get out of a bad mood.  A little Coolio followed by a little Snoop usually does the trick.
Day 21: A song I listen to when I am happy:  "1985" by Bowling for Soup.  I love to rock out to this one!
Day 22: A song I listen to when I am sad:  "I Know You're Out There Somewhere" by the Moody Blues.  Not long after James died, I woke up one morning with this song going through my head.
Day 23:  A song I want played at my wedding: "God Bless the Broken Road" by Rascal Flatts. I can only hope this broken road I've been forced to travel is leading to something wonderful.
Day 24: A song I want played at my funeral: "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" by Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwo'ole.  I've always loved this song and especially this version of it.
Day 25:  A song that makes me laugh:  "Toast" by Heywood Banks.  I get a giggle out of this every time I hear it.
Day 26:  A song I can play:  "Heart and Soul" - Theme song from the movie "Big."  I would need a refresher lesson and a partner, but I think I can still do this one.
Day 27: A song I wish I could play:  "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" by Charlie Daniels.  In my fantasy world, I totally rock this song.  In reality, I've never even touched a fiddle.
Day 28: A song that makes me feel guilty:  "Follow Me" by Uncle Kracker.  It's probably not a good thing to love a song about adultery.
Day 29: A song from my childhood:  "The Rainbow Connection" from "The Muppet Movie."  I remember learning this in grade school along with "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead." I want to say it was 2nd grade.
Day 30:  My favorite song this time last year:  "Need You Now" by Lady Antebellum.

I would love to have this list analyzed to see what it says about me other than I like a wide variety of music.

No comments: