Thursday, August 13, 2009

Heather the Hermit

Last weekend, I did something I have not done in a very long time. After spending most of Saturday with a friend, I came home and decided to curl up with a book. Normally, I only read before bed. After looking through my stack of books to be read, I chose "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold.

I was hesitant to read this book. It is about a 14-year-old girl who is raped and murdered on her way home from school one day. She then narrates from Heaven how her death affects the lives of her family and friends. I thought it would be really sad and that I would just bawl my eyes out. I actually found this to be a book I could not put down and found seeing how the family was able to heal inspiring, even it was a fictional account. I did tear up when the dog died, even though I knew that was inevitable. (Shocking, I know). So, I read from late Saturday afternoon well into the night and then picked the book back up Sunday afternoon around 1:00 and read for several more hours.

Now, all I want to do is curl up on the couch and read. I want to hide out from the world with my nose in a book. I have moved on to "Lean, Mean Thirteen" by Janet Evanovich. The books in this series are always lighthearted. I just want to escape from reality and shut the world away.

I am not entirely sure what has brought this on. I love to read-I always have. So maybe it is in part because there are so many books and so little time. Maybe it is because books are reliable-unless they are really bad, they don't disappoint. Or maybe it's because the weather has been kind of blah and what better way to spend a rainy afternoon than with a good book to keep you company. Maybe it is because I have been so on the go lately that this is my mind's way of making me slow down for a bit. Maybe my mind just needs something other than my life to focus on.

So, that's where I am right now. Sitting here writing about books while wondering what kind of mischief Stephanie Plum is about to get into this time. I think I'll go find out.

1 comment:

Rick said...

That is GREAT that you have found an "escape" for the time being!!!

Enjoy!!

I need to read more and watch TV less....