Sunday, May 30, 2010

Long Weekend in More Ways Than One

I have been looking forward to this weekend for a long time.  I have needed a break for awhile now and thought a three day weekend would really help with that.  I had some things I needed and wanted to get taken care of and had it all mapped out in my head.  I decided I would paint the master bathroom on Saturday, today I would take care of those pesky weeds taking over my yard and tomorrow I would just veg and catch up on shows.  I was also hoping to throw spending time with New Guy in the mix as well.  In my head, I had this perfect weekend planned out.

Ah, as usual, fantasy and reality are no where near each other.  I went out with friends Friday night-a fun evening of dinner at The Cheesecake Factory (I'll take one of each please), followed by shopping at Victoria's Secret and Macy's (got a cute summer top at Macy's and was intrigued by a pair of what can best be described as fluorescent yellow-green undies at Victoria's Secret, but I didn't buy them.  Not my style). 

While shopping, I missed a call from New Guy saying he was stuck at work and wouldn't be able to make it out after all and would be out of town this weekend and next but to give him a call next week and hopefully we can get together soon.  My initial thought was he is blowing me off.  When I listened to the message again, however, I thought maybe not.  Time will tell but my gut is telling me we are exactly where we are supposed to be right now and this is going to play out like it is supposed to and that everything is going to be okay.  But, his being out of town kind of throws a wrench into spending time with him this weekend part of my plan.

Nonetheless, I still had a game plan to carry out.  I got up bright and early Saturday for my appointment with my chiropractor and came home to get a start on the painting project.  Because I went out Friday, I didn't have everything taped off, so I got started with the actual painting later than I wanted to.  And it took FOREVER!  Who would have guessed the smallest room in the house could take so long-but more on that in another post. 

In addition to not getting the early start I had fantasied about, when I got home from the chiropractor, my garage door opener wouldn't work.  Turns out the opener is fine-it's the door itself that is broken.  The screws that connect the arm that opens and closes the door to the door fell out.  So in between waiting for coats of paint to dry, I tried to deal with that.  I was informed by the man at Lowe's that screws for garage doors is one of their most common requests and one of the most impossible types of screws to find.  Great.  My question was "then where do the people who install garage doors get them?  They have to come from somewhere."  He really couldn't answer that-nor fault my logic.  So I bought some screws we thought might work, but it turns out the holes in the garage door where the old ones were are stripped so now I am going to have to drill new holes in the garage door to fix it.  In the meantime, my arms are getting a good workout from manually opening and closing it.

I didn't sleep well last night thanks to sleeping in the living room on the air mattress due to the paint fumes in my bedroom.  I got up later than planned this weekend to see that our predicted 75 and sunny was much cooler than that and much grayer.  After removing the tape from the bathroom, touching up a few spots and calling to wish my nephew a happy 9th birthday (who pointed out that "some" of his family members had not sent packages-yes, that would be his slacker Aunt Heather), I was ready to tackle the weeds.  I pulled 3 before it started sprinkling.  Half hour later, I had filled the yard debris can-barely putting a dent in the weed population, I was pretty wet and I had an allergic reaction to pulling out a huge weed from the thistle family that was full of stickers and left both arms swollen and covered in rashes.  I had taken some Zyrtec prior to going outside and a few hours later the rashes were almost gone.  Eight hours later, there is still a trace of them, especially on my left arm.

It doesn't help that I am suffering from the worst snarly, bite-your-head-off PMS I have had in years.  I just want to lash out and am to that point of crying or eating everything in the house.  Since I can't seem to produce tears, I am eating everything in the house.  It doesn't even taste good at this point (well, the cheesecake I brought home on Friday does make me whimper a little).  Sammy is acting out by going potty all over the house, which just fuels my hormone induced anger and makes everything worse.

I really hope tomorrow is better.  I am hoping to get caught up on some of my shows and work on a craft project and just decompress.  I also hope tomorrow is better because I can't remember the last time I just wanted a long weekend to end.             

No comments: