Monday, May 17, 2010

Something I Swore I'd Never Do...


No matter how many times James tried to get me to do it, he could never get me to sing karaoke.  I have done it with a group a couple of times, but swore I would never do it solo.  My rationale is I am tone deaf, I have a flat voice and I can't carry a tune and no one is ever going to be drunk enough to have to be subjected to that-especially not people I actually like!

Yesterday, I attended the "white trash bash," which of course was an event for the fun Meetup group.  It's kind of sad I decided to go at 8:00 in the morning and didn't have to make a mad dash to Goodwill to put together an outfit.  I had James' overalls from his redneck Halloween costume from 2006, one of his wife-beaters and a leopard print bra just laying around.  The Braves' jersey was a gift from a friend several birthdays ago that I wore because I was a little self conscious about the bra.  (Yet not enough to stop me from wearing it).  A combo of some costume jewelry and some of my dad's jewelry rounded out the look.  And of course my "stunner shades" as my co-worker calls them from last year's rock star Halloween costume. 

I have been tempted the last few karaoke outings to get up and do it, but we have some really good singers in the group.  I don't know what possessed me yesterday but I finally got up the nerve to do it.  (Actually, she called my name before I had time to let what I was about to do really sink in).  I mean, nothing says white trash like bad karaoke (well, other than the leopard print bra and white wife-beater, of course).  So I did it.  I got up there and butchered Alan Jackson's "Chattahoochee."  It's the only song I know all the words to and can't resist singing.

Luckily for me, the way it was set up I couldn't hear myself.  Unfortunately for everyone else, they could.  I have promised never to do that to them again.  My alter ego for yesterday, GretaJean, makes no such promises.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Sounds like the only thing you were missing were some really classy tattoos! :)