Monday, October 18, 2010

And while I'm venting...

I typically don't follow politics.  They bore me and most of what is allegedly going to get done doesn't seem to happen anyway.  That being said, I do want to be able to make informed choices when I vote and vote for the best candidate, which may or may not belong to the party of which I am registered.

With elections coming up, I am coming home almost every day to at least one message from some politician or committee campaigning for someone.  I really wish this is included in the "Do Not Call" registry.

Here's the deal:  I will admit that I am registered Republican.  The Democratic party keeps calling.  Note to the Dems:  leaving me messages that say "Hey, you should vote for us instead" are not enough for me to say "Okay" and switch teams.  You need to tell me why I should vote for you. 

As for the politicians and their advocates:  leaving me messages smearing your opponent is not going to get me to vote for you either.  Telling me why I shouldn't vote for Denny Heck or Patty Murray does not tell me why I should vote for you.  Tell me why I should vote for you.

It's this simple:  I want to know what you are hoping to do for me if you are elected and how you hope to do it. If you want me to vote for you, tell me you are going to try to improve the economy by introducing tax incentives to companies that bring jobs back from foreign countries.  Tell me how you plan to save the art and physical education programs in schools.  Tell me how you are going to make Washington an even better state for me to live in.

The candidate who best tells me what they plan to do in office and who I most like what I hear from is who gets my vote-regardless of party.  If you can't do that, don't call me.  I'm not interested in what you are selling.

No comments: