Sunday, April 4, 2010

A needle in a haystack. Or: I can't believe I just did that.

At the Meetup event on Tuesday, one of my friends asked if any of us had a springform pan she could borrow. It so happens that I have two of them. The plan was that I would bring it to the event we were both planning to attend on Friday night.

After staying out too late on Tuesday and Thursday, I was dragging on Friday (which might be the understatement of the year). Around 3:00, I called her to let her know I was going to be near her place on Saturday and asked if I could drop off the pan then. She said that was fine and I told her I would be there between 4:00 and 4:30.

I got there yesterday a little before 4:30. She lives in a secured building and I was able to get into the building when someone else was buzzed in. She came down to the lobby to meet me and we just stood there and chit-chatted for a few minutes as I had a little bit of time to kill. Someone in her building was having a couples baby shower so there was a lot of activity in the lobby as guests arrived for that. We were only half paying attention to them as we discussed the proper way to toast coconut. (My useful suggestion: can't you just buy it that way? I don't bake with coconut a lot. She was making a cheesecake, which turned out delicious, and which is why she needed the pan).

And then he walked in. Our eyes met. I have never seen him before but he kept looking our way. I smiled tightly at him-I didn't want him to see the braces. He turned back one last time as he got on the elevator.

"Do we know him?" my friend asked, sounding confused.
"Nope."
"Should we know him?"
"Yep. Let me put it to you like this: on one hand, I'm thinking I should go to mini golf like I'm supposed to. On the other hand, I'm seriously thinking about crashing a baby shower," I said as I held out my arms to represent sides of a scale. (I went to mini golf).

I have been thinking since last night I really want to know who he is. So earlier this evening I did something out of character for me. I posted an ad on the missed connections section of Craigslist. I gave the intersection of the apartment building and said he was there for a party and I was the brunette in the green coat talking to my friend. I said he looked at us like he knew us and I want to meet him. I figure the worst that can happen-and the most likely scenario-is I will never get a response (well, actually the worst that can happen is that he is a psycho serial killer). But I definitely would get no response if I didn't put anything out there. And at least this way I can say I tried.

1 comment:

PatTheHat said...

I like this a lot.
If this is the final scene of the TV show, in the episode where you meet CMG#1 and he ends up with the other girl... well now I'm hooked on the show. I want to see what comes next.