Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Thank God for Small Favors!

A few weeks ago when I was debating whether or not to ask my Flirty Friend to MLK Day Dinner after not being able to attend Christmas dinner with him, my co-worker told me this was the year we weren't going to walk on the wild side, but rather stroll on it.  She said if I didn't hit the send button on the e-mail, she would. 

Fast forward to last week.  I had a volunteer shift at the Food Bank that I organized through the fun Meetup group.  I got held up at work so I was late getting there.  My friend took over greeting all the members of the group for me.  I did end up at a table with two of them-a gay couple who are actually the first friends I made in the group.  Also at our table were a man from India and his 9-year-old son and some guy who was unloading the food from the huge box onto the table for us to sort.  He had his back to us most of the time but I saw enough to see that he was cute and seemed vaguely familiar.  I chalked it up to him just having one of those faces.

The man from India was standing between me and the other guy and India's son was across the table from his father.  About halfway through the shift, the son decided he didn't want to sort anymore but wanted to box up the food instead.  Seeing this as my opportunity to get closer to the cute guy, I offered to switch places with him.  We had to keep the boxes at about 35 lbs so the cute guy would ask what I needed, meaning did I need canned goods or something lighter.  At one point, he turned around when he said it and I found myself looking into a pair of gorgeous green eyes.  I literally had to bite my tongue to keep from answering "what do you need?" with "your phone number."

Driving home, I was thinking about how I was going to have to confess to my co-worker what a bad "stroller" I am.  I found myself wishing I had more nerve and wasn't so afraid to put myself out there.  I thought maybe my co-worker didn't need to know how much of a wuss I am.  The next morning I confessed-it was the right thing to do after all.  And then I went to the Meetup site to edit attendance for the event.  I'm trying to keep track of the "no shows" for this event so if they keep signing up and by doing so are keeping others on the wait list from attending I can ask them to remove their RSVP.  As I was going through the list, I discovered that Green Eyes was actually part of our group.  He's got a very nice profile picture of him-and his wife. 

Sometimes being a wuss is a very good thing!

No comments: