Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Waiting for the Sun to Rise

Fans of the comic strip "Family Circus" know that when cartoonist Bill Keane goes on vacation, little Billy takes over for him. I have decided that since I feel like an awkward teenager these days, awkward teenage Heather is going to contribute to today's post.

Writing is not actually new to me. It is something I enjoyed in high school but never pursued because like most things, I didn't think I was good at it. Therefore, I have never shared my writing until I started this blog. I have a folder of the few things I wrote back then and have found most of them to be rather depressing.

I wrote this on January 3, 1991, when I was 16:

Waiting for the Sun to Rise

Waiting for the sun to rise
I think of the day to come
And I wonder what's in store for me
Will my day be happy and good?
Or will it be disappointing and sad?

Waiting for the sun to rise
I think of yesterday
And all the yesterdays before
Some of them were happy and good
But most were disappointing and sad.

Waiting for the sun to rise
So much goes through my head
I have done so much in life
And so much is yet to come
Sometimes I wonder if it will.

Now the sun is rising
And it's time to start my day
My wondering is over, my thoughts not quite complete
That's the story of my life each day
As I wait for the sun to rise.

I really do feel like a teenager again. Hopefully, my adolescence is much shorter this time around.

2 comments:

Rick said...

You are VERY talented!! Unfortunately, sometimes we just don't realize it or something like loosing a loved one can bring it out in us.
This is ONE tough road we are traveling down. Hang in there, it does get better......

((((HEATHER))))

Shannon said...

Sounds to me like you have some "unfinished" business from your past you need to settle. Like, have you ever thought about writing a book? Rick is right, you ARE a VERY talented writer. You know me Heather, I say what's on my mind, and I LOVE reading your blogs. You capture me with every story. Never boring, or dull. You should consider writing a memoir about a love story or a journey of a love lost or something that you have been through. Just a thought! It would keep you the hell away from E-Harmony!!!!!!!!! LuvYa!!! GoodLuck!!!! Shannon