Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Bunco

I am hosting bunco tonight. I have played with this group since before I met James, although most of the faces have changed over the years.

I should be downstairs frantically straightening the house and getting the snacks ready. But I'm not. I am sitting here at the computer instead feeling I have all the time in the world. It's a strange feeling for me to not be stressed out about it. Maybe I am learning to go with the flow, or maybe I am just too tired to care. I wonder if I can call Starbucks now and place my order for tomorrow morning?

Maybe part of it has to do with James not being here to take orders from me on how to properly slice veggies and present the snacks (I'm all about the presentation) and get slightly impatient as I am not ready to give him his next task when he is ready for it. Last year when I hosted bunco for the first time since his death, I had 2 friends magically appear to help me and to keep me calm. This year, I am on my own. And I am surprisingly calm about it. There is a puzzle and a cross stitch on the card table that need to not be there. There is crap all over the dining table and island. There are dishes on the counter to put away. Salami and cheese and bread need to be sliced. Artichoke dip may or may not need to be heated. Chips need to go in a bowl. Cream puffs need to be thawed, etc, etc, etc. And I find that I just don't care. Actually, the cream puffs sound good.

I have two hours to pull all this together. I work well under pressure, luckily as I am sure there is much more to be done than I am thinking of off the top of my head. I guess I'll go get started-not because I feel I need to, but because I want to watch as much of the Braves' game as I can before my guests arrive, which I will do while I am working.

1 comment:

Rick said...

That is great that you have this tradition.

Don't worry, it gets done when it gets done. I hope it was an eventful evening!!!

:-)