Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The first change

As I mentioned before, I have decided that I need to work on making the house "mine" instead of "ours" while I debate whether or not to sell it or hang on to it for a while longer. I made the decision to start with the guest bathroom as it is the room with the least emotional attachment and the most hideous paint job. I set a goal to paint it over Memorial Day weekend. (Actually, my original goal was to do it over New Year's weekend). When I decided on my revised goal of Memorial Day weekend, I didn't realize it was only two weeks away. I thought about putting it off until 4th of July weekend, but my friend said she would come over and help me now since this was a rare weekend that they didn't have soccer games.

So, after almost 5 months of having paint chips taped to the wall, I finally selected a color that I hoped would look good with the set I picked out and the counter. Things that go together are not my strong suit. They weren't James' either. We used to joke that we needed Garanimals for grown-ups. Actually, that really wasn't a joke. But, I digress. I chose Olympic's "Summer Rain." I'm not sure why they think summer rain is a pale green, but whatever.

I had a moment of "I can't do this" while taping off everything. I was almost finished and the song "Photograph" by Nickelback came on the radio. This was one of James' favorite songs. I hear it all the time, being a Nickelback fan myself, but as I stood there on the step-stool, tape in hand, the lyrics "it's hard to say it, it's time to say it, good-bye" were very overwhelming and I came thisclose to just leaving it as it was. I am not a fan of change, but deep down I knew I had to do this to continue to move forward. And now that it is done, I am thrilled with the results. And now I am more determined than ever to paint the bedroom. I stocked up on paint chips the other day; now I just need another long weekend.

I took photos along the way. Here's a sampling of them. You can't really tell from the pictures how truly awful the yellow was.
The Starting Point

So many choices!

We have a winner!!

Charlie helping with taping off the tub

Sammy supervising my friend


The end result-MUCH better!!

1 comment:

Rick said...

Great Job and Nice Color!!

Loosing a loved one is probably the worse thing that can happen to a loving couple!! I know what your going thru and my heart hurts for you!! I enjoy reading your blog and can relating to your pain. Thank you!!

Rick