Monday, May 11, 2009

They are called EMERGENCY vehicles for a reason

Why is it some people feel they are exempt from getting out of the way of emergency vehicles? Drivers in this area are really bad about this. This is something that has always bothered me. Several years ago, James and I were out and about and had to pull over for an ambulance. I was disgusted that most people just kept on as usual. I remember saying to him "I wonder how they would feel if they found out it was one of their loved ones and they didn't get out of the way?"

When the ER doctor came to talk to me the night James died, I was told he had been down for 45 minutes. My dear friend was there with me and I remember telling her "that's too long." In hindsight, I realize that what he was probably saying was that from the time the call came in, it took 45 minutes for the ambulance to get there, get James out of the car and to the hospital. What I heard, however, was it took 45 minutes for the ambulance to travel just under 5 miles from the site of the accident to the hospital. (James had a heart attack while driving home from work. He drifted over two lanes of traffic and hit two other cars in the process. Luckily, no one else was injured. What I didn't know at the time is there is a 99.9% chance he died instantly). And, the ER doctor did say the ambulance was there within a couple of minutes.

Regardless of what really happened, to think that it took 45 minutes for the ambulance to travel such a short distance makes me sick to my stomach even now. Before James died, it just ticked me off when people didn't pull over for an emergency vehicle. Now, when it happens, I still get mad, but I also hope to God these idiots never have to live with the sick feeling that comes from knowing it took way too long for their loved one to get medical attention. I don't think it is a feeling that will ever go away.

No comments: