Friday, May 1, 2009

Bittersweet May Day

When I was a little girl, we would go around and leave flowers on our neighbors' doorsteps in honor of May Day. Of course, being that we had school, this wouldn't always necessarily happen on May 1st-it would usually be on the Sunday nearest to it. We would then ring the bell or knock on the door and run and hide and watch in hopes that someone would open the door and find the flowers. It was always so disappointing when no one was home. We would also hope the neighbors wouldn't recognize the flowers as having come out of their own yards. I wonder if anyone still honors this tradition-hopefully, without "borrowing" the flowers they leave behind.

I took pictures of these flowers the other day and wish I would have done it sooner. These flowers have special meaning to me. They were the flowers that were on the tables at the reception following James' funeral. It was hard to see them start to come up and bloom, and now that they are almost "done" for the season, I am saddened to see them go.


1 comment:

Sari said...

Those are really beautiful flowers.

I didn't know about May Day. That's a nice tradition. Maybe I'll have to do that next year.