Monday, December 21, 2009

Advent #11: Other Traditions

Growing up, we had one tradition that really stands out in my mind: on Christmas Eve, my brother and I would head upstairs just before bed and would stop in Mom and Dad's room to open a present. It was usually picked out for us and was usually designed to entertain us when we got up at the crack of dawn on Christmas morning and Mom and Dad weren't up yet. For me, it was usually a book or a puzzle or a puzzle book of some sort-usually crossword. For my brother, it was usually a toy of some kind.

As an adult, I don't really have any traditions, although every year without fail, I get one of the packages all taped up and ready to mail only to discover I forgot to put the Christmas card in the box. This year it was Mom. And of course, I had already written "Mom" in big letters across the envelope, so that is who the post office is going to deliver it to instead of a person with a first and last name.

Last year, I went over to our best friends' for pizza and a white elephant gift exchange on Christmas Eve. I will be doing the same thing this year. Though that is their family tradition, it is one I hope to be included in for many years to come.

No comments: