Sunday, December 27, 2009

Advent #19: Christmas Shopping

I love buying gifts for people, but find that I am always rushing around at the last minute to buy Christmas presents. Part of that is because I always say I am going to make gifts and then don't end up getting around to that either.

I always found James both easy and difficult to shop for. He loved to read and he loved the Pittsburgh Steelers, so books and something to do with the Steelers were always on the list, but I began to feel like that was all I ever got him. There were other things as well, but the problem (for me) with James was that when he wanted something, he would inevitably go get it for himself, so by the time Christmas (or his birthday) rolled around, he already had everything I had been mentally storing as gift ideas. I didn't really make it easy on him either as there was rarely anything I really wanted.

This year, I found myself finding all kinds of things I would have gotten for James. I tried not to but it just happened. It made it a little hard to shop so it was a good thing there weren't many people for me to buy for this year as it limited the amount of time I had to spend in the stores.

I posted something on Facebook the other day about vowing my annual vow not to wait until the next minute to get everything done next year. My brother responded with "oh this I gotta see." I thought that sounded like a challenge. So that is going to be my challenge: next year, I want to have all the shopping (and shipping) done by the middle of the month so I can sit back and enjoy the holidays instead of rushing around like a chicken with my head cut off.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

We'll have to work on that together. Remind me of this next year, would you?